http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=7336810976739689799 A Traveller's Dream: SCOTLAND'S GEMS - PITLOCHRY

Blog structure and labels

Click on the places listed under 'Labels' to get straight to the ones you are interested in.

Friday 12 November 2010

SCOTLAND'S GEMS - PITLOCHRY

Scotland has some amazing places to visit.

The Perthsire area is ideal for watching the salmon jump, for hill walking, cycling or just for enjoying a day out in the green. The best time for watching the salmon jump is either in late Spring (May/June) or in late autumn (October). Have a look at the Perthshire website - they can give you further information about things to see and to do in this region.



I sometimes escape to Pitlochry and Dunkeld for a day or two simply because it's so beautiful there and I like to get away from the city from time to time.



These two places are my favourite places near Edinburgh, especially in spring and autumn when the leaves change colours and remind me of an Indian summer.

The nature in the Perthshire area is amazing and it's only a short drive away from Edinburgh. So if you have a week in Scotland and if you would like to visit places outside Edinburgh or Glasgow, Pitlochry and Dunkeld are the ones I would recommend.

Several B&B's can be found in Pitlochry as well as pubs, cafés and restaurants. Booking a B&B in advance is advisable as they get very busy - especially on the weekends. I found a good website that gives you an overview of B&Bs in Pitlochry.


There is one restaurant in particular I can highly recommend. The food there is phenomenal but you have to book in advance as they are very busy most of the evenings. Have a look at the website of the Fern Cottage restaurant which is in my opinion the best restaurant in the whole town.


I once stayed in Dunkeld which is much smaller than Pitlochry and very quiet in the evening. Accommodation was average, nothing memorable and the restaurants are not that great either so Pitlochry is the place you want to stay. Having said that - there actually is an interesting place in Dunkeld which is definitely worth a visit. It's called 'The Taybank' - previously owned by Scottish musician Dougie MacLean. They often have live music performances and the country music festival takes place there every year. If you are a musician or into music, a visit at The Taybank is well worth your time.

Feel free to leave a comment if you have something to add to this post. Thanks!

17 comments:

Jess said...

wow your photos are amazing!! I love them all you have been to some really beautifull places and you are really talented!!! Do you have a dslr? Jess xxx

Red Nomad OZ said...

It's amazing how many of the placenames in your post have Australian counterparts! Some don't look that different either - although many do!!

Happy travels!
Adventures in Australia

Gordana said...

Hi Jess,
I have a nice Nikon D80 camera with a good lens (that's the key to good photos). Thanks for the compliment - I try my best to get good shots but I am still learning :-)

Gordana said...

Hi Red Nomad OZ,
When I was in Down Under, I was surprised how many places have Scottish names. And I agree, a few places in Australia do look similar and you should see those trees in autumn... no picture can capture this beauty - you have to see it with your own eyes :-)

Anonymous said...

Hiya! I love your pics, they are amazing. It's looks like you have been to some amazing places! I have followed you and if you have time I was wondering if you could follow me? Thank you very much :)

BeautyBlogger

Andres S. said...

I love this area of Scotland, it is one of the many hidden places that this marvellous country has. Gordana, congratulations for your blog, I absolutly love your pictures. Thx

Bianca said...

Why did we flew back home last Sunday? We definitely have to come back soon! Pictures look great! Liebs Grüessli Bianca

Unknown said...

Wenn es nur näher einfach am Mittelmeer liegen würde...
Liebe Grüsse
Res

Anonymous said...

Love your blog Gordana, I am very impressed with your work. Very useful and professional!

Gordana said...

Andres,
thank you for your kind words. Glad to hear that you like my blog.
There are so many wonderful places in Scotland, I haven't even seen them all.
Keep an eye on future entries as I will be uploading more pictures of Aviemore and surrounding soon.

Gordana said...

Hello BeautyBlogger
thanks - I am trying to upload the best photos I have and I am glad you like them. Keep following my blog and you will get to see more photos.
I will definitely check out your blog. Thanks!

Gordana said...

Res,
I am sure you would like Scotland as much as I do. Let me know if you are planning to visit and I can give you some good tips.

Gordana said...

Hiya Bianca,
Yes, it is a pity you had to leave so early. It was a lovely day today with lots of sunshine. See you soon!

Christina said...

Hi Gordana

Love your photos & can only agree with you. Pitlochry & Dunkeld are also my favourite places to escape the hectic of Edinburgh. And a folk session at the Taybank is something one shouldn't miss esp. if you like Dougie MacLean. :)

Gordana said...

Hi Christina,
Good to hear from another Pitlochry fan. Maybe we should plan a trip up there sometime soon?
Cheerio, Gordana

Anonymous said...

I like the colours you've used and the background globe looks fantastic. I was reading your bit on Pitlochry and whilst you give recommendations on a couple of restaurants and pubs, you don't give information on where you like to go to see the nature nor at what specific areas the photos are taken. I think it would enhance it if you said you love walking around "X woods" or "Loch abc where there are waterfalls, red squirrels etc".

Jamie

Gordana said...

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your feedback.

That's a fair point, I agree. I usually do give more specific details but I must have forgotten to do so for the Scotland's gems posts.