http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=7336810976739689799 A Traveller's Dream: Switzerland in December

Blog structure and labels

Click on the places listed under 'Labels' to get straight to the ones you are interested in.

Friday 31 December 2010

Switzerland in December

I had a great time on my recent visit to Switzerland. Visiting family and friends is always exciting for me as I don't see them very often. This Christmas, I stayed in Schaffhausen, a lovely city where I have many friends and where my family lives.

A shopping trip to Zurich is a must - especially before Christmas. All shops display lovely festive decoration which invites customers to spend money :-)

People put up cute decorations and this year I was lucky to celebrate a white Christmas. Usually it snows weeks before Christmas and by the 25th December, the snow is gone.

Unfortunately, the snow did not last very long as temperatures rose above zero degrees Celsius and after a couple of days, little evidence of a white Christmas was left.

Nevertheless, the city of Schaffhausen offers a lot for visitors.


The architecture of the old town is very interesting; the city offers a variety of pretty little restaurants and bars and its rural surrounding is ideal for biking, hiking, walking and sledging.

The Rhein river is great for canoeing, riding kayaks or boats, swimming or simply just walking along the shore to the nearby Buesingen.

Tips for visitors:
Europ's largest waterfall, the 'Rheinfall' can  be found in Neuhausen, a suburb of Schaffhausen and is definitely worth a visit. Every year, ten thousands of visitors from all over the world travel to Neuhausen to see this spectacular waterfall. Click on the link of 'Rheinfall' to see some images I found on Google. For more information about history, facts and figures etc. click here.

--> Photos of my trip to Switzerland in Dec. 2010

No comments: