http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=7336810976739689799 A Traveller's Dream: LUXOR

Blog structure and labels

Click on the places listed under 'Labels' to get straight to the ones you are interested in.

Tuesday 7 December 2010

LUXOR

I just looked at some photographs from my trip to Luxor and I thought I'd share them with you.


Luxor is a very interesting city with an amazing history and architecture and a population of just below 490,000. It is sitting on the banks of the river Nile with a view over the Valley of the Kings and Queens.

It takes only approx. five and a half hours by plane from the UK and it is a good base for trips to other places.

We spent only 5 days in Luxor but there is so much to do and to see that you can easily spend a whole week or longer in and around Luxor.

I was fascinated by the Valley of the Kings although the tombs were mostly empty. All mummies and valuables are either in the museum in Luxor or in the one in Kairo.

The Temple of Deir El-Bahri, better known as the temple of the Queen Hatshepsut, also left a great impression on me. Also, you cannot stay in Luxor without visiting the Karnak temple.

The museum in Luxor is also a must-see. It showcases architecture and other interesting ornaments and valuables that were found in the tombs, as seen in the following photographs.





The Sonesta St. George hotel was our hotel, located  in the middle of Luxor. Staff were nice and it also had a swimming pool which was a nice thing to have as temperatures can get very hot.

Sunset on the river Nile...


John and I were visiting Luxor at the end of November and it was over 32 degrees Celsius. So if you are looking for a nice getaway and to escape the winter, Egypt is the place to go. It does get cooler in the winter thou but not as cold as in Europe.

A lot of my friends went on a Nile cruise from Luxor to Asswan and they absolutely loved it! I would like to do that next time I visit Egypt. There are some fantastic places to discover and the Abu Simbel temple as well as the pyramids of Gizah are on my list of things to see before I die :-)

To find out more about what to see and what to do in Luxor, click here.

Unfortunately, all my other photographs were taken with the non-digital camera, hence not more photographs of the other places I have mentioned. But I will try to scan them and create an album in the near future so watch this space!

Tips:
Don't accept the first price offered on taxi rides or other transportation. Haggling is the major activity in Egypt so go ahead and haggle yourself silly :-)  John and I managed to get a taxi for $25 for 5 hours!!! The driver took us to the Valleys, the Hatshepsut temple as well as the Karnak temple. He waited for us in his taxi while we did sight seeing.

Alternatively, you can book a tour in air-conditioned buses with tour operator that will charge you slightly more. We would have paid around $100 per person for a trip to the sights. If you don't feel comfortable doing it on your own, book with the tour operators but if you are travelling on a budget, get yourself a private taxi. You don't have to miss out on anything!

That's all for now - if you have any questions, send me an email and I will try to answer it :-)

Have fun!

No comments: